vendredi 30 août 2013

Religion, Spirituality or Science

I start this thread to get an idea on people thought son those three things.



I have never been into religion organized or otherwise for a few reasons.

I was raised by my mum who said she was raised Pentecostal-which I have no working idea of because when she mentioned that in a conversation we were having once at that point she didn't go to church or read any bible. She liked to hang out in cemeteries and living in haunted houses believed in spirits, even going so far when I was a teen to have a team sent out by the Warrens to see about incorporeal that were tormenting my younger brothers. And then she wants to start saying prayers to chase spirits away and for protection.



My father on the other hand I spent weekends with and he was a preacher in his church. Believed in god and all that went with it and took me to church with him on the weekends. Where I would have to wear the patent shoes I couldn't scuff without getting fussed at and a dress. (let me tell you I refused to wear a dress unless forced to for a long time in my teen years because of that) But overall going to church with him didn't seem as bothersome as when I would go with an Aunt to her Baptist church were the kids were sent downstairs and separated from the adults for like the first half of whatever sermon they had and then we kids were allowed to go up for the last 30-45 min.



Then there was another Aunt who did drugs, abused her kids in ways I won't get into. Even going so far as to beat someone she was seeing who was so sick when Aids fist came out because he didn't clean up something. Who claimed an about face reversal because she became a Jehovah Witness.



Now in my teen years I went for about 2-3 months to Jehovah Witness meetings with a girl from school. I was 13/14 at the time and I couldn't take it seriously in the least even though I tried to keep an open mind. But any belief system that tells you dinosaurs are not real and the world was only a few thousand years old when I had at the same time learning about dinosaurs a the planet evolution in school how can you take it seriously and realistically?



At the same time going through that teen I'm different phase which in my case was a desire to be away from people in space or on another planet to get away from them as you body changes ect. The only thing that made sense to what I was experiencing was in mythology. By the time I was 15/16 I had read so much history on mythology but rationally couldn't equate mythology to everyday life and yet felt more comfortable identifying myself as a pagan. Now at this time the hype for those were two categories goth or new age. And I didn't agree fit with either of those. I would read and watch shows where they would tell you and mind you this was 1989/1990 and before, that the subculture of witchcraft was harmful to youth mentality, leading them to be goth or new age. Now I have my own prejudiced against new agers at times that I won't get into here.



So personally while I was looking for my spirituality at a young age the only thing that I could relate to was considered essentially fake and unsubstantiated by science if not slandered with misconception and superstition of generations.



I believe in science and the things that have evolved from it but at the same time I resent the superstation and conditioning that people take for granted when they forget that the science you use today is based initially on what some would consider magic. The study of herbs and plants used for home remedies discounted today are the base of your chemistry creating the pills and antibiotics you take. That ancestors study of the stars over generations creating calendars and star maps of our system with their naked eyes verified by astrologers with their tech. Just two examples.



So are you personally religious or spiritual not the same thing and how do you relate that to science. I am aware that there are those who don't believe in deities or religion and feel that science is the end all be all. If it's not validated as true through scientific experimentation and documentation it's not real somehow. Yet how can concepts passed down through generations and repeated enough to be reoccurring because science hasn't found a way to validate it. But the very fact that it's a concept which is carried through generations well doesn't give it credence should make one wonder at the origin.





via JREF Forum http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=264548&goto=newpost

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire