jeudi 26 décembre 2013

Protestants, business and psychopaths

I have had dealings over the last 3 years with business people from the Kansas City, USA.

They are your typical Bible Belt Protestant Republicans.



This interview by Dawkins of a Woman of America rep. reminds me so much of conversations I have had with these people in KC.



http://youtu.be/-AS6rQtiEh8



What struck me about my conversations with them is how easy it is for them to lie with no guilt. When cornered with facts, as Dawkins does in this interview, they simply lie there way out of the corner and feel completely justified in doing so.



I have even found this attitude amongst the relatively liberal owner of the company I deal with who is married to a Thai woman but grew up in KC.



I am convinced that there upbringing and the general social community they live in has shaped them into pathological liars. I would even call them psychopaths as they show no remorse for there lies when exposed.



I think this attitude may also explain the business success of the Bible Belt Protestants. If you can lie and cheat and sleep well at night your probably going to get far in a Darwinian struggle for business success (prisoners dilemma style approach)



I remember a historian on TV who has studied the trend of Protestants and business success in the Bible Belt. He even traces the business revolution in China to Protestant Chinese business owners. He convincingly indicates that Confucianism would make it difficult to justify a lot of western business practices.



What makes me hopeful is that in the long term cooperation is the winning evolutionary strategy in humans and these psychopaths won't rule for long.





via JREF Forum http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=270962&goto=newpost

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire