mercredi 26 février 2014

Any Microbiologists out there?

My girlfriend and I are having a heated discussion about a batch of homemade "cultured" butter she just finished.



The process:



To make the butter she combined pasteurized heavy cream with cultured butter milk in a 1 quart container and left it sit out on the counter top for 24 hours. After it is "fermented" (her terminology) she put it in a blender and then refrigerated it for use.



Her Argument:



This is safe, it's exactly how they make cheese and yogurt. This is also how butter was made for many years. We eat fermented products all the time and they are safe. She is going to make a batch of yogurt next week which she says is much the same process only it is held in the oven at 100 degrees.



My Argument:



Having worked in the food service industry in my younger days and going though a number of food safety classes, the idea of actually eating heavy cream and butter milk (or any "wet" food) left out at room temperature for longer than 2 hours is a SERIOUS no go. :jaw-dropp



The Question:



She thinks I am crazy and being overly cautious. I think she is nuts. But I would love to try the butter (it looks really good :) ) and I don't really know how they make butter (or yogurt) safely so I might be missing something. Frankly would love to find out I am wrong but it makes me really worried that she is eating this stuff (I call it death butter :D ).



So.... what say you all?





via JREF Forum http://ift.tt/1dBOqPY

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire