mardi 25 mars 2014

Car bait and switch: worth pursuing?

I found a certified pre-owned car listed on a California car dealer's site (not a little independent place, it's an authorized dealer of the make of car I want to buy). It's exactly the car I want, at a good price. Maybe a bit too good; I emailed about the car, got an OTD (out the door) price quote, and went to the dealer ready to buy. When I got there the guy said the air bag had been deployed.



So I left, then after looking around more, thought it still might be worth it, so I emailed and asked how much for the car without airbag, and also with airbag replaced. He replied that he was wrong about the airbag, but he can't find the car. It's still listed, including stock number, VIN number, and Carfax link (I don't want to post the link, but if any longtime JREFers want to see it, PM me).



The Carfax linked it to another dealer in the same area; I contacted them and they said it's not available. This all started about a week ago, the listing is still up. My understanding is that it's not legal to advertise a product that's not available, anyone know if that's true? I don't want to make a big stink about a petty issue, but this is pretty annoying, and I'd be happy if I could just buy the car at the advertised price. I've talked to two salespeople at 2 different dealers, and also emailed a manager asking why I can't buy it (didn't hear back).



Some links on b&s:



http://ift.tt/1fhs72V



http://ift.tt/1fhs5Ib



ETA: One reason I'm particularly annoyed is that I've had a lot of BS pulled with auto dealers in the past, stuff like: at the dealer, ready to buy, agree on a price for a very specific car, then midway through the paperwork the guy "realizes" that the car they have has a sunroof, which I don't want and will raise the price $1300, and they don't have the same w/o sunroof, even though they told me otherwise. And a few other similar issues...





via JREF Forum http://ift.tt/1ll1xNB

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire