samedi 26 avril 2014

Looking for a way to record the output of a video player

I do databending, which is where you take files and edit them in software that wasn't intended for that purpose. I mostly edit pictures as sound files, but I also sometimes use a hex editor or word processor. I've played around with video a bit before but have just started to want to have more than just a token stab at it.



The problem with video, though, is that it's inherently fragile, and each player decodes the data in a different way. So the first thing is that by databending a video file, you're purposely breaking it. The second is that playing back the glitched file in various different video players yields massively different results.



This means that while it's possible to create glitches which are interesting, it's difficult to put them in a context whereby you can actually do anything with them beyond playing the original glitched file in a specific video player. VLC has a convert/save function that I thought was going to be useful to me, as the particular glitch that inspired this thread occurred in VLC but, unfortunately, the file in question is too broken and, at a certain point during the conversion is causes VLC to crash. I wasn't 100% sure that the conversion process in VLC would end up with a file that displays identical results to playing it, but I'm definitely certain that converting it using different software would, if successful, end up with something completely different.



So what I'm looking for is a way to actually output what I can see on the screen when I play certain files in certain media players. I've tried software with which you can record your desktop before, but have always found it too CPU/memory intensive and so therefore the one thing it doesn't successfully record is video.



Does anyone have any suggestions either for software that records your desktop which could record video, or for any other way to record the output of a video player?





via JREF Forum http://ift.tt/PEos8E

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire