mercredi 25 juin 2014

Missing drive letter (Vista)

My mother's PC is a Dell D420. It has two physical hard drives.

Both show up in the BIOS boot record.

Both can be found in Windows (late Vista version), but while the principal drive, as you would expect, shows up as "C", the second drive has no drive letter in Windows.

It appears in Disk manager as Basic Disk 1, shows as a "Healthy" Primary partition, but is invisible to the Windows file manager.



This used to be my backup PC and I suspect I did something dim to it, but that's two years ago and I've forgotten what.



Right clicking on the partition in disk manager gives a very restricted drop down menu, with everything except "Properties" greyed out, including the "Change Drive Letter" command.



Anyone have any suggestions as to

1) What I may have done?

and

2)How to get that drive back?



I'm reluctant to attempt a format (even if I could) as I don't know what data may be on it.

I can try removing it and reading it in another machine, but it would be interesting to learn what might cause the OS to lose track of the drive letter, while still able to see the device.

There's no urgency about it. The PC is 50 miles away and I won't be near it till a week or so from now, but if anyone has suggestions to offer, I'll try them then.





via JREF Forum http://ift.tt/Vn9vvr

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire