mercredi 30 juillet 2014

The US Revolution according to Schoolhouse Rock: role of France and Spain

OK, I admit that I am not very familiar with the details of the US revolution, and don't feel like looking them up, but would prefer to get some opinions from people here who know.



The bulk of my knowledge comes from Schoolhouse Rock's Shot Heard Round the World (which is why it is superficial, to say the least). There's one part that I wonder about, the verse that says...



"They showed so much determination

That they won the admiration

From nations 'round the world like France and Spain

Who loaned the colonies ships and guns

To put the British on the run

And the continental army on it's feet again"



Now, I'm guessing that France and Spain weren't doing this just because they admired the fighting spirit of the colonials, right? More likely they saw that they had a chance to defeat the Brits, and that was going to be better for the French and the Spaniards in some way?



I am wondering, what was the role of France, Spain and/or others in the revolution? According to Schoolhouse Rock, Cornwalis at Yorktown was bottled up by Washington and the French fleet and couldn't retreat, so that means the French were doing more than loaning ships, it sounds like they were patrolling.



(note: I'm not trying to find holes in the Schoolhouse Rock treatment (it's saturday morning cartoon!), just trying to clarify what it talking about; I realize I am naive, but as far as I know, they do a pretty good job there; some of the details are really fun, like how Washington crossed the Delaware to surprise the Hessians (not just the British, but the Hessians) and how the British marched to Concord to seize the arsenal there)





via JREF Forum http://ift.tt/1xAp2Un

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire