jeudi 31 juillet 2014

Why does processed food have so much sodium?

I can eat a tomato with a sprinkling of salt and it tastes good. But if I buy canned tomato juice, one small glass is going to give me something like 30 percent of the day's sodium requirement. And it doesn't even taste salty. If I get the lower sodium kind - it tastes like it needs salt.



I'm not talking about salt used to preserve, say, beef jerky. The high sodium content is true of just about all canned foods - which I thought were sterilized in the canning process - and I'm noticing it in frozen foods as well. A 220-calorie Lean Cuisine gives me a quarter of the day's sodium (with a good chance I'll salt it lightly as well).



Is the sodium coming from somewhere besides sodium chloride?





via JREF Forum http://ift.tt/1s7KkrX

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire