lundi 25 août 2014

Atheists who don't hate religion

As I've stated in the past, my personal stance as an atheist diverges from that of most other atheists, including some on these forums, in that I believe religion overall does more good than evil in the world. I'm bringing this disagreement out, up front, in the open so that you know where I'm coming from. I'm aware that there will be atheists who strongly object to what I'm saying, or am about to say. This is my opinion, and it's entirely subjective, based on my own personal experiences. However, I will still try to explain it in a way that makes sense.



Hate is a strong word. I realize that. I hope those who use it are also aware of that fact. I've heard from atheists who say, they may hate a given religion, but they hate all religions equally. To them I would ask, why? Why is it necessary to hate something you disagree with? Hate is just repackaged fear, so are you afraid of religious people or what they might do? I don't hate religion; I'm skeptical of its claims. I don't blame an entire religion when some of its adherents commit an abuse or atrocity, I blame the specific individuals who are guilty of the crime. I don't default to animosity towards religion or religious institutions, I have to judge each one individually based on its own merits or faults. Most of all, I don't prejudge or hate people just because they are religious.



I'm not a skeptic because I'm an atheist, I'm an atheist because I'm a skeptic. I am not wedded to the label of atheist. If some evidence comes along capable of changing my mind, that's exactly what I'll do. I approach religion the same way I approach any other skeptical topic, by asking questions in order to sort out the good from the bad, the true from the false. Every religion has done bad things in history, there's no denying that. However, one must not overlook the fact that these are the exceptions rather than the rule, and extremists do not represent the majority of people of faith.



Religion does in fact contribute a lot to modern society. It does good charity work. I've even donated goods to some of these charities myself, like the Salvation Army. It has been a source of much art and literature throughout history. It offers community and social cohesion to people who need it. It provides education to children. It helps people live happy, fulfilling lives, and I'm perfectly fine with that.



I once blamed religion for all our wars, and all the worst atrocities in history. However, this was a shortsighted worldview and a false cause fallacy. Psychologically speaking, religion is an ad hoc justification and reinforcing factor for one's existing morals and values. You cannot teach a child morals simply by giving him or her a Bible or Quran. Religion is often the facade and secondary motivating factor. Politics, territory, and socio-economic factors are at the root of what most would consider religious wars. Over time, I realized that even if these people had converted to atheism, they would still have killed each other for the same basic reasons. It's no surprise that humans have always done terrible things to each other. Our closest relatives in the animal kingdom will kill each other, no religion required.



I do believe religion has a proper place, and that's at one's house of worship or in the privacy of one's home. I have no problem with people who practice their religion peacefully. I'm not going to go out of my way to tell these people that they're wrong, or deluded, or that their beliefs are stupid and dangerous. However, when religion is brought into the public and people try to force it into our laws, then I have a problem. One's right to believe and worship as one chooses is limited by when it begins to infringe on the rights of others. If I want to know about your religion, I'll ask you. I don't need you to pull down your pants and wave it in my face.



I see no need for atheists to go out and try and convince religious people to see things their way. Proselytizing is what organized religion does, and one of the things I object to about it. So why should atheists imitate their methods? If someone has questions about atheism, or secularism, or humanism, by all means answer those questions. If someone challenges you with an alleged proof for God or other similarly BS claim, by all means counter them. However, it should not be a goal to deconvert the religious. Atheists should instead figure a way to tolerate the religious, because isn't tolerance what atheists want from them?



I will say this. Religion isn't inherently good or evil. It all depends on people and how they use it.



Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with me, what are your thoughts? I look forward to hearing from you.





via JREF Forum http://ift.tt/1mLeMDV

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire