lundi 29 septembre 2014

15 obscure words














YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the JREF. The JREF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE





As is the case with most YouTube videos, you have to ignore the boring preamble, but there's some good words here and I thought people might be interested in seeing how many they know before being told the definition.



I knew 6:






Tittle - I'm not sure why, but I knew this.



Frisson - is this one obscure? I thought it was pretty common. And, like Tittle, I'm finding that I don't have to add it to my browser's dictionary for it not to be underlined in red.



Petrichor - it's in a couple of episodes of Doctor Who. And Rhet and Link joke about it being a cologne, but it's actually the name of a perfume line that Amy Pond launches. Who said Doctor Who wasn't educational any more?



Interrobang - again, I didn't think this was particularly obscure.



Philtrum - there was an advert back when the internet was new which consisted of a bunch of people in an amphitheatre answering questions from various people, and one of them was a little girl asking what the groove in your lip was called and a doctor replying "philtrum. We call this your philtrum".



Mondegreen - and, once more, I didn't think this was obscure.





There were a couple I could partially work out - Parestesia was obviously a sensation of some kind, but "pare" threw me and I wondered if it was a prickling sensation with no apparent cause, like the feeling of being watched.



Dysania was obviously a malady of some kind, but I had no idea what.



Phosphene was obviously something to do with light, but I got no more than that from it.







How about you?





via JREF Forum http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=283508&goto=newpost

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire