mercredi 24 septembre 2014

The Origin of Mathematics

Mathematics is the language that the laws of nature are written in. Its symbols are human but I do not think that it itself is. I think that it was discovered rather than invented. I cannot prove this so do not regard it as fact. But I have constructed a thought experiment to determine the validity of my hypothesis : imagine complex life else where in the Universe with the cognitive capability and natural curiosity of human beings. Would it be possible for it too to discover the laws of nature through mathematics ? The answer would logically be yes. So I am interested in what others think of this and especially mathematicians and particularly Platonists if there are any here. And whatever you do think can the question actually be definitively answered or is just one of those which ultimately cannot be proven or disproven either way. So your thoughts please





via JREF Forum http://ift.tt/Y7FHn5

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire