mercredi 29 octobre 2014

"Shame" out the vote?

I was recently posted a card in the mail that somewhat bothers me. It was from a group called "Americans for Prosperity", marked with a logo saying "Louisiana Voter Audit 2014" and a title of "Voter History Report Card".



On the reverse, there is a small box with columns for the 2010, 2012, and the upcoming 2014 elections, underneath each the words "voted" or "didn't vote" as appropriate for my history. Next to this box is the following text:




Quote:








Dear Registered Voter:



WHO VOTES IS PUBLIC INFORMATION!



Why do so many people fail to vote? We've been talking about the problem for years, but it only seems to get worse.



This year, we're taking a different approach. We are reminding people that who votes is a matter of public record.



The chart to the right shows your name from the state list of registered voters, your voter history, as well as an empty box which we will fill in to show whether you vote in the Novembet 4th general election. We intend to mail you an updated chart when we have that information.



We will leave the box blank if you do not vote.



Please do your civic duty and be a voter on Tuesday November 4th.



Now, I am already aware of what years I did and what years I did not vote, because...well, I'm the person who did or didn't. So my voting history is not useful information in that regard. But, that doesn't appear to be the intention of the mailing anyway.



It likewise does not bother me at all that the fact of whether or not I cast a ballot in a given election is "public information" as long as my choices remain private.



So I'm left wondering what the intention of this mailing is supposed to be. Since whether or not I voted during the given years is not news to me, obviously I'm meant to feel something in response to being informed that whoever these people are and/or the public "knows" that information as well. But what am I supposed to be feeling?



The only thing I can come up with is that I'm intended to feel ashamed or humiliated if I didn't vote in an election and am now being "confronted" with that fact by this mailing. I do not actually feel ashamed at all, but I do feel personally insulted by the condescending tone of the letter, and the quasi-extortive "threat" that another "report card" will be sent to me after next month's election showing whether I voted in it. In my younger and more belligerent days, something like this would actually encourage me not to vote out of spite, to demonstrate to these people exactly how much I care about whether they or anyone else knows my "voting history" or not. Of course now I'm a bit more mature and won't let such a thing influence my decision.



I'm curious though, about what other people think about this group's "new approach" to "encourage" greater voter turnout. Obviously voting is important, and I'm all for and admire positive attempts to encourage greater voter participation through things like offering rides to polling places. But this strategy to me seems so wrong-headed and patronizing, I can't imagine what led them to think it might be a good idea.





via International Skeptics Forum http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284809&goto=newpost

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire