mardi 25 novembre 2014

Appropriating Foreign Mythology for Fiction

I'm a fan of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians and have also started reading said author's Kane Chronicles and Heroes of Olympus series. Even before then I started reading about Coyote, the trickster icon of Navajo (and other western tribal) mythology, and found the concept of him interesting enough that I wanted to write a story about him.



However, in the interest of not being just another white guy taking something from Native Americans, I feel like I'm gonna have to do a lot of research on Native American mythology and culture.



So in the meantime, I ask: what does it take to make using other cultures' stories as inspiration for your own okay? Is just doing your homework enough, or is there more to it?



What is the "right" way to write a story on something unique to a culture that isn't your own?





via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1yUiLEU

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire