dimanche 23 novembre 2014

'Text Neck' is wrecking your spine

'Text neck' is becoming an 'epidemic' and could wreck your spine




Quote:








Originally Posted by The Washington Post

The human head weighs about a dozen pounds. But as the neck bends forward and down, the weight on the cervical spine begins to increase. At a 15-degree angle, this weight is about 27 pounds, at 30 degrees it’s 40 pounds, at 45 degrees it’s 49 pounds, and at 60 degrees it’s 60 pounds.



That’s the burden that comes with staring at a smartphone — the way millions do for hours every day, according to research published by Kenneth Hansraj in the National Library of Medicine. The study will appear next month in Surgical Technology International. Over time, researchers say, this poor posture, sometimes called “text neck,” can lead to early wear-and-tear on the spine, degeneration and even surgery.



“It is an epidemic or, at least, it’s very common,” Hansraj, chief of spine surgery at New York Spine Surgery and Rehabilitation Medicine, told The Washington Post. “Just look around you, everyone has their heads down.”...




I can understand this but there are still things that leave me somewhat skeptical of the claims.



I don't recall hearing about 'book neck' which ought to be similar or the same - though people may never have spent as much time doing that as they do now looking at their smartphones.




Quote:








Can’t grasp the significance of 60 pounds? Imagine carrying an 8-year-old around your neck several hours per day.



I doubt that I could carry an 8-year-old around my neck for more than a few minutes, if even that. But I can put my head at that 60 degree angle and keep it there (it's not an extreme position that I would naturally choose) if I want - it isn't so comfortable for extended periods but I just can't imagine it as the same as having a big kid hanging on my neck. That seems too extreme.




Quote:








Tom DiAngelis, president of the American Physical Therapy Association‘s Private Practice Section, told CNN last year the effect is similar to bending a finger all the way back and holding it there for about an hour.



Is it really the same as holding a finger all the way back for an hour? That seems too extreme.



Besides that, the article does seem to have good suggestions for phone use.



Personally, if I use my smartphone for extended periods, I develop pains and cramps in my arms, hands and fingers - but less so in my neck/spine. The finger cramping might be the worst symptom and I think it's because I'm clutching a small thing. I will switch back-and-forth to an open palm hold to relieve the finger stress.



I'm still a bit surprised that the article doesn't say something like, "in the old days it was called book neck and now it's text neck".





via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1yIucQ3

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire