lundi 23 février 2015

Bill O'Reilly and the Falklands War

After the Brian Williams kerfluffle, I am surprised no one had brought up Bill O'Reilly's spat with David Corn and Mother Jones



Bill O'Reilly Has His Own Brian Williams Problem




Quote:








In a 2004 column about US soldiers fighting in Iraq, O'Reilly noted, "Having survived a combat situation in Argentina during the Falklands war, I know that life-and-death decisions are made in a flash."



In 2008, he took a shot at journalist Bill Moyers, saying, "I missed Moyers in the war zones of [the] Falkland conflict in Argentina, the Middle East, and Northern Ireland. I looked for Bill, but I didn't see him."



As the article points out, what O'Reilly could not have seen the things he claims to have seen in Argentina, because the things he described never actually happened.



O'Reilly hit back at Mother Jones, so MJ tore that apart as well.



The Proofiness of Bill O'Reilly




Quote:








After nearly a day of hurling invective, O'Reilly opened his cable show Friday night with a monologue that assailed me as a smear-meister. But he also tried to win the day by producing documents that, he asserted, showed how he had been unfairly tarred. "In what I consider to be a miracle," he declared, "I found this CBS internal memo from 33 years ago praising my coverage" of a protest in Buenos Aires that happened just as the 1982 Falklands war ended.



Our article had pointed out that O'Reilly's later accounts of this protest—which he called a "combat situation"—contained significant contradictions with the factual record. He has claimed that soldiers fired into the crowd, that "many" people were killed, and that "I was out there pretty much by myself because the other CBS correspondents were hiding in the hotel." (The Mother Jones article said nothing about how O'Reilly covered the protest at the time.)



This is not at the level of inaccuracy that Brian Williams put forth, but for such a well known and high level news personality, it is still of interest.





via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1ADn4GW

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire