lundi 23 février 2015

Scientific studies on privilege

This is inspired by a Nicolas Kristof column I came across today. I'll get to that column in a minute.



But first, ask yourself whether you think that things like "white privilege" or "male privilege" exist? (It's OK to say no, or I'm not sure; I've had doubts in the past myself.) If the answer is no, or not sure, could you be convinced otherwise if shown evidence? What sort of evidence would be sufficient?



Anyway, I liked the column because he doesn't just assert that these things exist, but cites various studies that show it, and quantify it. It's only about 800 words, not a difficult read at all:



Straight Talk for White Men



None of this means that you are a racist or sexist, just because you are white and/or male. It just means that, to use Kristof's analogy, that you have a tailwind instead of a headwind.



So, what do you think? Has enough evidence been presented? It seemed to me like he makes a good case.





via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1DbWnKc

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire