samedi 25 avril 2015

It's being reported that NASA may have accidentally invented a warp drive

This seems to be the original source, although I'm not at home and not using my browser and all I get is a blank page. I'm assuming that it will display for others, though.

For those who want more detailed and scientific discussion is the relevant discussion on the NASA Spaceflight forum. It's above my head, and I've not read much of it, but I'm told that page 90 is about where you should start reading.

The gist, as far as I can tell from what I've read, is that NASA have been working on a new kind of drive. One of the tests they do is to fire lasers through it and it seems that some of them appear to have gone through faster than lightspeed. There are also other mathematical things which appear to be consistent with theoretical warp bubbles.

Of course, the last time stuff appeared to be travelling faster than light with the LHC it turned out to be an artefact of the measurement, and the NASA scientists are thinking that it may be an atmospheric artefact and so are looking to repeat the experiment in a vacuum, but either way it's interesting.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1KgT5bv

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire