vendredi 24 juillet 2015

Am I a bad skeptic?

So my mom was recommended this documentary called Thrive which IMDb describes as:

"An unconventional documentary that lifts the veil on what's really going on in our world by following the money upstream - uncovering the global consolidation of power in nearly every aspect of our lives. Weaving together breakthroughs in science, consciousness and activism, THRIVE offers real solutions, empowering us with unprecedented and bold strategies for reclaiming our lives and our future."

The movie features Deepak Chopra and my first instinct was to look at youtube comments (where I found a commenter saying her nephews got autism from vaccines) and IMDb threads like this one linking to a website debunking the movie

She was really excited about it and when she watched it she thought it was great. She said it was about world domination and finance and stuff and said it talked about efforts to create a one world government and hospitals implanting tracking devices into people's body. She says it's not conspiracy stuff as it's upbeat rather than depressing and has quotes from high up people like from the Bush administration. But my point is not to talk about the movie's content, I was feeling dismissive of this movie from just the youtube and IMDb comments I read. . . .

. . . Which I can't really say sounds like I'm being a good skeptic or anything similar.

What should I do in a scenario like this?

My expectations; I'll watch the documentary, than read the website debunking it, than be of the opinion that it's BS, and if my mom ever saw the website she'd probably dismiss it and the people who made it, and possibly me for having formed my conclusions from the very start, to which she kind of has a point because to me it looks like another Zeitgeist or other pseudo-doc.

I watched the first five minutes and it comes off like a Scientology doc (my mom is an avid Scientologist). The guy also claims he found a mark in nature that's the key to free energy and that the economic system is rigged while showing the pyramid eye symbol on the dollar bill.

Am I being closed minded? I have an emotional, non-rational negative visceral response to things that sound like conspiracy theory stuff. I'm rejecting the things I imagine a "good skeptic" would reject, but it's almost based on instinct and gut reactions at this point. What would you advise?


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1VDSg3o

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire