dimanche 30 août 2015

Kkrieger, a forgotten FPS tech demo.

While poking around on several various old thumb drives, flash drives, external hard drives and other media in yet another vain and doomed to failure attempt to organize the massive disorganized clusterfart that is my digital storage philosophy, I came across something I want to talk about.

It's called .Kkrieger. It's a short tech demo for a first person shooter. It's nothing overly special, you can play the whole thing in ten minutes, you walk through some hallways, shoot some monsters, walk up some stairs, pick up a few new guns... that sorta thing. It's decent looking now and was downright gorgeous back in 2004 when it was released and the lighting still holds up.



So why am I bringing it up?

Because of the size of the executable. It's 96 kilobytes. No not Megabytes, kilobytes. The entire game is literally smaller than the screenshot I just posted. You could fit this game on a floppy. It's smaller than Wolfenstein 3d.

Apparently the developer, Farbrausch, used various compression and real time procedural generating techniques to essentially have the game create textures and models on the fly.

Weird thing is .kkrieger was released, got some accolades and... nothing. The official website has been offline for years and the developer hasn't been heard of in a while either.

It's just a concept I wonder why has never been revisted. You figure mobile gaming companies would jump on this sort of technique.

As best as I can recall I got my copy off of a bundled demo CD with a computer magazine way back when that was still a thing, but it's was released as freeware and it still found floating around on plenty of download sites and with a little tweaking it ran just fine on my current PC running Windows 10.

No real reason for this thread, just an interesting little tidbit from the past I happened to run across and wanted to share.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1Ugg8w2

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire