samedi 22 août 2015

Why do you like Hilary?

Most of the discussion about Hilary seems to be about whether or not she has done anything criminal. That's a worthwhile discussion, at least until the question gets answered, but "I didn't do anything criminal" is kind of weak as a campaign slogan goes.

I would like to hear people tell us, "I want Hilary to be the next President of the United States because......"

My assessment of the current political situation with respect to Hilary is that she is very likely to get the nomination because everyone figures she is going to get the nomination. She doesn't really excite anyone. No one particularly cares for her as best I can tell. However, party insiders like her, and there are probably some backstage deals, and she looks like a lock for the nomination on that basis. Bill and friends still have a lot of clout and very few want to oppose her.

What really worries me about that sort of situation is that it has happened twice before in my lifetime. In 1984 Walter Mondale was the anointed one of the Democratic Party, and in 1996 Bob Dole had that role for the Republicans. Both of them got slaughtered in the general election, and they had something going for them that Hilary doesn't really have. Mondale was identified as a strong union supporter, which at least gave him a core group that was enthusiastic about him, even if it gave him some strong negatives to go with it. Bob Dole, while he didn't excite the electorate, was at least a highly respected Senate leader, who was praised by both parties.

Hilary has.....what was it again? She is very strong on women's issues I suppose, but that might be a lot like Walter Mondale and the unions. It gives her a strong core, but alienates the center. She was Secretary of State for four years, but I can't recall any great foreign policy triumphs from that period of the Obama administration. Her stump speeches don't seem to tout her accomplishments in that arena, but her enemies bring it up all the time. When your enemies talk about your record more than you do, it's not a good sign. Anything else?

For me, if I ever vote for her, it will be on the inspiring slogan of "I am not a Republican". It seems weak.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1Ec9CPO

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire