mercredi 23 septembre 2015

Why are so many political conservatives just so mean?

I seldom try to stir up a hornet's nest, but a recent news event has created a lot of stir in the conservative blog sphere and news outlets (I will not specifically name it here because it has its own thread), leading me once again to think that much of the conservative response to issues is just plain mean. The response, it seems to me, is for conservatives to launch very personal attacks on any private individuals involved to discredit them as people, not to discredit their experience or their political viewpoints. The target can be an adult or even (recently) a child. And the response is not to discredit the key point to their story (I have no problem if someone wants to point out facts that contradict someone's claim of a racial attack or a rape) but to discredit that person or their family as a whole ("their project wasn't so great in the first place, they were convicted of shop-lifting 4 years ago, they had on a hoody and looked suspicious, just look at her face, we can't have a Muslim as President, etc."). Sometimes it involves use of a term such as SJW to demean the person rather then their claim.

I would also add that I find many conservative positions are built around punishing someone. Make them pay! Those illegal immigrants and poor citizens- make them suffer! If they someone can't afford health insurance, make them suffer! If they have unmarried sex, make them suffer!

One study found that a significant difference bewteen liberals and conservatives is that the latter have less empathy. At first I didn't buy it. But now I do.

I can anticipate already the response: well, liberals do it too and have said bad things about Cheney and Trump, etc. Well, I am certain that examples can be found of bad-mouthed liberals as well. But I am especially talking here about conservatives going after people who are not themselves professional politicians. The feeling I repeatedly have is that the majority goal of these conservative blogs and political talking points is to kick the participant/opposing advocate to the floor and step on them until the issue goes away and no one else will dare to raise the issue again.

Just my consensus opinion- I have met very ethic conservatives who would themselves would never do this, and unethical liberals who would. But as a "body of work" ...


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1KPVHj9

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire