samedi 31 octobre 2015

Employers and the Affordabe Care Act

Yesterday one of my bosses explained to me that my hours had to be under 30 because otherwise she'd have to pay me benefits. Then she said, "I can't be paying benefits to a part-timer when I have full timers with no benefits."

The obvious contradiction did not occur to me until later. Now I'm curious - under what scenario would she have to pay me benefits, but not someone working 40 hours? If they are on Medicare? If they are double dipping from a state retirement fund?

I don't want to antagonize her, but I'm supposed to be helping young people develop critical-thinking skills and I feel kind of dumb for letting this question slide. If any of you are employers or supervisors - does an employee "just asking a question" come across as antagonistic?

I had actually just won a round - the week before I had been told not to go over 25 hours - in contradiction to what I'd been told before - so I was feeling conciliatory, even though this was at least the third different answer I had gotten regarding my hours. I'm fine with the 29.75-hour ceiling and never expected benefits to begin with.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1NIVQVv

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire