jeudi 22 octobre 2015

Responsible Gun Owner Sells Guns For Drug Money

I consider myself Responsible and toward that end have always taken steps to prevent accidents, loss, and misuse of the few guns I have owned over the years. I use trigger locks, I keep the .357 in a locked pistol box and store ammo (other than the 2 speed loaders in the pistol box) out in the garage in a padlocked metal locker, and I've taught all three kids basic safety rules.

But things have changed for me, and as an RGO I feel that changes are required in my tactical posture.

I'm riding the learning curve of a food intolerance issue, and when I get it wrong one of the symptoms is cranky irrational irritability; another is depression. I don't always know when an episode is happening until something triggers an emotional response. I recently had an interaction with someone that I think scared them a bit. All I wanted was for Sam to put down my power cord and let me over-under wind it myself so it would fit in the backstage safety lights kit. I later apologized to Sam and found out he felt I was threatening him. It scared me, as I didn't feel I was threatening, but I don't know what I look like from the outside.

So I've made a rational, reasoned and calculated decision to mitigate risk, based on military risk assessment training: analyze the risk factors, find the most significant risk and mitigate it in appropriate, cost effective and efficacious way to maximize safe results.

The kids are too big for the Henry Mini-bolt, so I sold it back to the pawn shop I found it in for about half what they think they can sell it for. What does one do with a tiny pile of cash? Buy a dime bag (legally, which costs around 20 bucks) and put the remainder in the sock drawer. It helps me tolerate some of the non-chemical depression and frustration triggers I can't change.

I no longer anticipate wanting a Concealed Carry permit, ever, so I next sold the Taurus TCP .380, again for half their anticipated sale price. Enough for an eighth, with a bit of change.

Next up when the pawn shops open in an hour is a totally ordinary Savage 30-06 wearing the okay-not-great scope it sells with at Cabelas. Again, a pawn shop special, so I'll take what I get. I don't anticipate going hunting anytime soon, and if I do get there later in life a random rifle and scope is the cheapest part of the project.

"But what about the .357 in the bedroom, jrrarglblarg?"

Good question. If I wanted to blow my brains out (I don't, but I can't predict the future) it would be my go-to solution. I'd like to keep it for when I'm feeling better (and Obama is out of office so ammo hoarding stops) and technically I bought it for Mrs J, so it stays. For now. But the speed loaders have been moved to the ammo locker, and the combo lock replaced with a keyed Masterlock. The one and only key to the lock has been given to my mother across town for safe keeping, with full explanation of why.

I have two other guns I'm not sure about: the Ruger MK2 .22 rim fire pistol that was the first firearm I bought, and a .22 rifle from the 1930s that's worth way more than pawnshops will give me. But they're locked up, and so is the pitiful pile of post-Obama rim fire ammo I've managed to accumulate.

This is what being a Responsible Gun Owner looks like:
-Never point a firearm at anything you don't intend to destroy
-assume every firearm is loaded every time you pick it up until you check it.
-keep firearms secure and prevent access by those who are underage, untrained, or unreliable.

I've found myself in the Unreliable category and have acted accordingly. I encourage others to self monitor mental health and be willing to make changes for safety of self and others.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1GsYPBu

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire