dimanche 29 novembre 2015

Arthur C. Clarke: Visionary Sci-fi writer or cynical misanthrope?

This came to me after seeing a preview for the SyFy channel "Childhood's End" 3-part mini series this December.

I've seen Kubrick's 2001, very well done. But I am disturbed by the themes and messages of the film and Clarke's other books. Readers of Childhood's end say that the Overlords are not the enemies of mankind, but its saviors/enablers to lead them to a utopia.

In 2001, the aliens give mankind more knowledge by the 'monolith' and therefore man advances.

So what is Clarke saying, that mankind is inept and incapable of saving itself, so wouldn't it be nice if aliens could come down and save us all?

I know there are other themes discussed, but this is really the "main" one I wanted to discuss. If anyone has contentions, please post them here. I am just sharing my thoughts, thanks.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1lTfMvK

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire