lundi 25 janvier 2016

Personal cancer stories

Looks like there hasn't been such a thread at least not for a while. Has cancer hit you directly, or someone close? Share your story?

Me:
In 1993 my mother had colon cancer. Underwent surgery and chemo. Had a colostomy that was later reversed.
I and my brothers then had colonoscopies and were clear.
I was told to have one again in 5 years.
I didn't.
Instead, in Dec of 2000 I noticed blood in the stool. "probably 'roids" was my thought and I treated it as such. Through Christmas season one gets busy and it wasn't until early Jan 2001 that it dawned on me that the blood had not abated despite regular use of medication. I went to the doctor. A bit odd that when I described my symptoms I got an appt that very day. I was the last patient the doc saw, obviously a 'fit-in'. He probed a bit and then uttered and "oh" quietly. He probably didn't even realize he had done so. He quickly took off his glove and washed his hands. He bolted out of the office saying he wanted to see if Dr."S" was still in the office. (She is a surgeon) He came back quick but that doctor had left already. He told me "I'm not saying its cancer but hemorrhoids are smooth and the lump I felt is rough". He would make an appt with the surgeon for a c'scope asap. After that I had two surgeries. The first was to see if it could be removed without taking my rectum as well. No dice and the second left me with no rectum and a (obviously) permanent colostomy.
The rest of the year saw chemo and radiation therapy that ended in early December of 2001.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1PxrTpk

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire