lundi 25 janvier 2016

Recommend me some books

I'm just coming to the end of Uprooted by Naomi Novik, which I've enjoyed very much, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to read next. She's got a series of books about dragons in the Napoleonic wars, but they don't really appeal to me.

What I'm looking for may sound a little contradictory, but what it is is I want something modern (so written within the last 5 years or so), but with a kind of old-fashioned feel. Preferably sci-fi or fantasy. Hard or soft sci-fi I don't mind, but when it comes to fantasy I'd much rather read about a magic user of some kind than I would about someone who's good with a sword.

I don't really want a silly comedy in the style of the Thursday Next books or anything like that. Which doesn't mean it has to be entirely serious, but I don't want comedy to be the primary focus. Authorial style in general doesn't bother me. I've enjoyed books which are light on details and I've enjoyed books which are big on details, so that's not a consideration. But I am looking more for something that will spark my imagination than I am something about, say, a grim post-apocalypse world full of cannibals. Which is not to say that cannibals can't feature, or that there can't be heavy themes, but I'm more in the mood for something that features dancing fairies or philosophising supercomputers than I am 600 pages of people murdering each other over tins of dog food.

Big ideas are good - I like Big Dumb Object kind of stories, or stories which are written around a clever central idea. Also stories which are told in a clever way. I got in to David Mitchell through liking the structure and technique of Cloud Atlas.

As to time period, I don't care when it's set, past present or future, but I'm generally not too keen on stories as mentioned above, where it's fantasy elements inserted into real historical events. I'm not feeling steampunk, either. I usually don't mind what age-range something is aimed at, but at the moment I'm in the mood for something aimed at adults, rather than children or young adults.

And, as far as the focus of the story goes, I'm easy on that unless it's romance. I'm generally bored by romances. I mean, they're usually fairly inevitable so I don't mind if a romance is part of the story in question, but I don't want it to be the focus. I'm more interested in adventure, or mystery, or exploring some kind of moral question, or something like that.

Also, just because it's the kind of mood I'm in, I'm leaning towards a female protagonist, written by a female author. This isn't a deal-breaker by any means an intriguing concept or premise will get me interested in a male-lead, male-authored book but I'm more likely to go for a female protagonist written by a female author at the moment.

Oh, and I'm looking for something that is available in epub format. Mobi will do, as I can convert it, but the point is I'm not looking to buy a physical book, but instead want something I can read on my Kobo.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1Pya6yt

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire