lundi 25 janvier 2016

What would a Trump presidency look like?

I don't think he will be president, but I also didn't think he'd be the republican front runner for more than a few weeks, if at all. So maybe it's time to think about the unthinkable.

I think that Trump is more of a populist and an authoritarian than a conservative. I don't think he's too bogged down by a particular ideology so much, and maybe that's actually a good thing. But he is unpredictable, and that's not just me saying that, Trump himself says he's unpredictable:

http://ift.tt/1nJQbGw

Quote:

On Monday night, Bill O’Reilly asked the billionaire mogul turned GOP front-runner, “If you’re elected president, and you don’t like the [Iranian nuclear] deal, are you gonna bomb their nuclear facilities?”

“Bill, I’m gonna do what’s right,” Trump said. “I want to be unpredictable.”

This response was itself fairly predictable, and O’Reilly had a follow-up prepared: “Don’t the voters have a right to know how far you’re gonna go?”

“No, they don’t,” Trump replied. “The voters want unpredictability.”
So he promises to be unpredictable. Is this a good thing? Sounds like a gamble to me.

I think he might be for the U.S. What Putin is for Russia. And, that might actually appeal to a certain kind of voter. Putin's campaign slogan, if he had one, could easily be "I made Russia great again". And supposedly he is very popular in Russia. What exactly is Putin? I think nationalist, populist, and authoritarian are labels that could apply to both Putin and Trump. And they both seem to admire each other too. So how did Putin get so popular in Russia? Partly at first it was probably because the economy was growing pretty fast during his first two terms. More recently though it seems to have to do with "standing up" to other countries like Ukraine and Georgia. I don't think that Trump would invade Mexico, but he has already promised to build a wall on the Mexican border and make Mexico pay for it. And also to deport all illegal immigrants. He has also basically promised a trade war with China, Japan and other countries.

Anyway, my theory is that it would probably be quite bad, both for the U.S. and for other countries.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1Um8OuP

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire