samedi 23 janvier 2016

Zebras' stripes: is there a purpose?

A new study says that the stripes are neither camouflage nor do they serve a social purpose. I'm not entirely sure I buy their results, but does there necessarily have to be a purpose for them? I mean, plenty of other animals seem to get along just fine without stripes: horses, wildebeest, etc. I think they probably do have at least some minor purpose, although I'm nut sure exactly what that would be, but since other animals seem to do OK without them, it's hardly a critical function.

ZEBRA STRIPES SERVE NEITHER CAMOUFLAGE NOR SOCIAL PURPOSES

ETA: a google image search on wildebeest suggests I may be wrong about wildebeest not having stripes. At least some of them do seem to have stripes, but not as pronounced as zebra stripes.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1QkW6vg

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire