samedi 27 février 2016

[Split Thread] Opto-electronics and Electro-Optics

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbob (Post 11146672)
I am not too sure about some of the optoelectronics fabs, but I can think of American, German and Dutch owned fabs as well as a Japanese wafer manufacturer.

ARM is also the poster child for fabless IP developers

ARM does an awesome job and I think their future is pretty bright.

As for optics....Opto-electronics and Electro-Optics were a lost cause for America and the west as far back as 1990. So, I don't think you'll see any of those types of Fabs owned locally unless they are strictly defense related.

Talking about Electro-Optics, I find Samsung's work with millimeter-thin OLED technology to be technically staggering from a fabrication standpoint. Ever since reading about luminescent walls in an Isaac Asimov Science Fiction Novel, I knew they were possible (and since I studied Electro-Optics I could even tell you how to design them), but I just didn't expect to see them in my lifetime because of the difficulty in manufacturing them. I believe if I live another 30 years, then they will be quite common: ubiquitous, in fact.

Likewise, a few years ago I was struck dumb by the ability of firms like Canon and Nikon to develop and manufacture high-density CCDs. When I told a friend who worked at Raytheon developing Missiles about the specs of these comercially-available CCDs, he didn't believe me. But I showed him and he was convinced. Point is this: the imaging CCDs in many cameras are more advanced than what you'll find in million-dollar missiles. And, as a result of this CCD tech being coupled with high-speed processors, a whole world of missile-related applications related to imaging instead of just thermal tracking has been made possible. In other words, the missile of the future will lockon to an image and not a heat signature, and unless a fighter pilot is equipped with a "Romulan Cloaking Device" he is as good as hammered the instant that missile acquires him (this missile will not be electronically/optically jammed or fooled with silly flares, chaff or decoys). Gawd...what a thought - and this type of imaging is going to be implemented in everything from SAM Systems to shoulder-fired missiles.


Mod InfoThread split from here.
Posted By:zooterkin


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1LkMf9Q

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire