dimanche 27 mars 2016

Man, Apple frustrated me yesterday

I'm an Apple guy. iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, iPhone 6. My friend not so much. He has a mini, the original. He told me yesterday he needed help with his. Said it stopped working after an update and he couldn't get past a verification screen.

I figured he was just entering his Apple ID or password wrong. I followed him home after golf, and as I figured, his Apple ID or password didn't work to get past a verification screen. So, after trying every strange string of characters he had written down on an old envelope, I used my iPad to go thru the forgotten password routine and successfully reset his password. The I went back to his iPad and entered the correct info........and it failed.

So, I did a search and it turns out that iOS 9.3 causes an error in older devices, including his. Apple had a couple of fixes online. I tried them all, none worked. Last suggestion, call Apple support.

After about a 40 minute wait, I got a live person. Here's how it went, paraphrased but accurate:

Him: you have to use the original Apple ID and password from the first time the iPad was set up.

Me: this is the only Apple ID he's ever used and he doesn't remember his first password. No one would. It was more than three years ago.

Him: nope. There was a previous Apple ID or this wouldn't have happened. There is no other possibility. And it's a good thing we caught this for him.

Me: are you really claiming that his iPad being locked as a result of your non-compatible upgrade is a good thing? Whatever, how do we fix it?

Him: three ways. He remembers the original information or he sends us the original packaging, or he sends us the original store receipt that includes this devices serial number printed by the register at the time of purchase.

Me: are you telling me that if he can't do one of those things, this iPad is forever trashed?

Him: yes

Apple has since stopped allowing the affected devices to update to the new iOS, but has no intention of fixing the problem for the group of owners for whom their online suggestions do not work.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1UnT2D6

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire