dimanche 29 mai 2016

Trump's is America's past, not its future.

Supporters of Donald Trump can't accept the way the world is changing. They can't accept that white people are heading toward minority status, that the manufacturing jobs aren't coming back, that racism, sexism, genderism and homophobia are unacceptable, and that there is a bleak future for them.

However, that future isn't bleak because, as they think, everyone who isn't like them is out to get them. It's because the pace of change in the world, due to improved technologies, is far faster than they can handle. And instead of learning new ways, retooling for new information era jobs, and accepting that they need to change, they line up behind a guy who promises to take them back to a past where their kind didn't have to compete with Hispanics, African-Americans and foreigners, where women stayed in the kitchen and made babies, where the American dream myth was king.

I don't like the pace of change, but I do my best to keep up with it. In the last few years, as the company I work for has changed from production to information management, I've learned new skills and kept up; in fact, I've outstripped my coworkers and now manage those that are left. The company I worked for once had about 80 employees; we're down to 10, and we're just a division of another company. However, we do different things now, and we do them better than our competitors, and we're surviving.

I'm 58 years old. I could just have given up trying to keep up with change, accepted a lesser lifestyle, and just tried to hang on a few more years to retirement. Instead, I've kept up, advanced, and am earning 40% more than I did two years ago.

In my opinion, many of Trump's supporters are quitters. They want someone to take care of them, to somehow make things right again, which for them means bringing back jobs that don't exist, kicking out people who work harder than them and don't complain, putting up walls to keep out new people, and paying them far more than their labor is worth. I say to them, get off your ass and do something about it other than whining and supporting a maniacal demagogue who is only using you. He's not going to be able to give you what you want! He's full of hot air and lies, and if he wins, by the time you realize this, it's going to be too late. And where will you turn then?

I'm going to hold my nose and vote for Hillary this fall. Under her, things might get a little worse, a little better, or stay about the same. But under The Donald, I have no doubt that things will get much worse for most Americans. If my only choices are which of two candidates is going to take a steaming dump on me, I'd rather get it from a donkey, not an elephant.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1qVElKr

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire