mercredi 25 mai 2016

Your thoughts on a religion vs. secularism meme

I came across this epic maymay while scrolling through the Facebook feed:



Now I'll overlook the fact that this is really an argumentum ad consequentiam and therefore fallacious and focus rather on the first thing that came to mind instead:

Each year two things happen:
  • I learn more about cognitive science and normative approaches to rationality than I did in the previous year
  • I learn more about other people directly than I did in the previous year

Correspondingly, each year my opinion of the average person sinks even lower than where it stood in the recent past, which was not very high at all. Strictly speaking, you can't really get an "ought" from an "is" but I would say that the combination of learning science and my accumulating lived experience engenders seeing the left column as accurate much, much, much more so than the right column. (This is compensated somewhat by the knowledge that, for example, advances in statistics and machine learning will eventually mean fewer or, at least, more humbled fat-mouthed bloviating ******** on TV or elsewhere.)

In short, what I get out of science is almost diametrically opposed to this maymay.

What are your thoughts on this?


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/1Ty7B7C

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire