jeudi 23 juin 2016

Funniest living satirist of American political scene?

One of the first things I saw on YouTube was Jon Stewart appearing on "Crossfire" way back in 2004. He pretended to play it straight but got big (and sometimes, IMO, uncomfortable) laughs.

More recently, John Oliver is almost the opposite of Stewart's laid-back persona. Colbert seems to have stepped back a little bit from his previous persona. The Young Turks try humor at times but Cenk Uygur undermines funny politician clips with earnest over-analysis.

These are all liberal folks but I'm very open to conservative humor. The guys in the "Blue Collar Comedy Tour" may have conservative tendencies (Larry the Cable Guy, Jeff Foxworthy, Ron White), though I have no clips off the top of my head. P.J. O'Rourke and Christopher Buckley are funny writers but don't do standup. I suspect Craig Ferguson is fairly conservative. Lindsey Graham can be funny as hell, and he's definitely conservative.

I'm generally talking about television, though there are other satirical outlets. Political cartoons, books, magazines etc. I'd love to hear what Mark Twain or H.L. Mencken would have made of the current presidential race.

Does anyone have any clips, comments or opinions to share?

**Note to mods** I put this in the culture part of the sub-forum because my focus here is on entertainment, not partisanship. Move it at will.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/28QzbLX

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire