mercredi 22 juin 2016

Genius meme, what is the most correct answer?

Hi. A friend on facebook posted this meme yesterday:

The remainder of my post is after meme as a spoiler.



Most responses came up with the answer 40 by solving each equation and adding the sum of the previous equation to the answer.

The poster and myself claimed the answer is 96. Our method was to multiply the two numbers being added in each equation, then to add the first number to the sum.

One friend said his answer of 40 is correct and we were overthinking it.

I defended our answer as superior by saying for his pattern to work consistently it has to assume an equation previous to the first one that has a sum of 0, whereas my method and pattern will work consistently well from the first given equation without having to assume anything at all.

While typing out my defense, I realized, there is no actual question being asked in this meme other than solve for X, or technically solve for ?

The fact that we are assuming we are to find a method/pattern that works for all equations is all of us overthinking it, as no instructions to do so are given anywhere in the meme.

I thus changed my answer to 19 and am awaiting his response now.

Just curious what you guys think. I have to believe 19 is the most correct answer here, and the fact everyone who replied to my friend's initial post went out of their way to do 'fancy' math and devise a working pattern just goes to show how much our brains really do love to find patterns in things.

Also curious what you guys and gals think about 96 vs. 40? Assuming the question was specifically asked: Solve the equation based on the running pattern, are 40 and 96 equally valid or is one superior to the other as I initially claimed?


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/28QVsso

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire