mercredi 22 juin 2016

Pre Computing Fingerprint Identification

I am reading The Black Dhalia and I do not understand how fingerprinting was used at this time. The novel is based on the actual murder of Elizabeth Short. She was mutilated and her body was dumped in 1947. She was identified with fingerprinting because shed been arrested in 1942.

I understand how fingerprinting works. My questions is, by 1946 the FBI had 100 million fingerprint cards on file. How did they use those fingerprint cards to identify an individual.

What I am asking is, did someone flip through each 100 million cards one by one until they found a match? Were they categorized by whorls versus ovals? How did they locate the card they needed before they had computers?


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/28NUeKA

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire