dimanche 25 septembre 2016

Different reactions to similar situations

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right forum or not but since this post is in part about alcoholism I put this post here. I apologise if this is in the wrong place.

Ok I'm getting on in years myself and I am old enough to have had a Grandfather who fought in WW1.

My Grandfather immigrated from Cardiff Wales in 1900 as an infant with his family. He grew up in the Bay area of Oakland Ca and when he reached 18 he was either drafted or joined the
American army or was drafted.

Here is whom I am comparing him to.

I had a Jewish friend whose father was at the battle of Tannenburg with the Russian army and his army was routed by the Germans. After he returned to Russia he fled to Poland and from there fled to Ney York City where he was almost immediately drafted.

As luck would have it both men were in the same battle "The battle of Chateau Theirrie"

The germans attacked the American emplacement and could not break the American line. Many American soldiers died and the Germans used poison gas. Both men were wounded by this gas and were taken out of the war no longer able to fight.

The Jewish gentleman was able to live a long life and died at not quite one hundred years old despite having problems with hacking coughs caused by the lung damage because of the mustard gas he had inhaled. He worked honorably as a tailor and eventually retired from Sears department store with a pension. He had raised five children with his wife and adored his grandchildren. As far as I could tell the only thing peculiar about this cool old guy was his belief that TV wrestling was legit and he was a fanatic fan to the point to where he would make a scene when the bad guy was cheating and won these absurd matches.

My Grandfather returned to Oakland Ca where he met my Grandmother and father one child with her. My own father. As time went by the marriage collapsed because of his drinking. He drank a lot and often. They divorced and he was a very irresponsible father in that he never gave my grandmother a dime of child support much less alimony. He was actually gainfully employed as a boilermaker. He went on to marry another woman with whom he had three children two sons and a daughter.

He eventually lost his job as a boiler maker and continued drinking and getting intoxicated every single day of his life until he died at age 62.

His alcoholism was so acute that when he died the hospital staff wanted to dissect his body to show the medical students the end result of a lifetime of heavy drinking. His organs were ruined especially his liver and his brain which resembled chalk.

Ok why did these men who had suffered similar injuries reacted so differently? Could it be that the Jewish guy had steeled himself against the horrors of war and had a better coping mechanism? Was my Grandfather a drunk already?


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2cNo9Fq

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire