mardi 27 septembre 2016

Help me read this poem, nitpickers wanted

Detail-obsessed nitpickers are perfect for this question. :D

Here's the manuscript of Emily Dickinson's poem "I started early - Took my Dog"

http://ift.tt/2cBrCuE

You can blow it up quite far.

On the first page, in the left margin by the first verse, there's a penciled word or two, looks like it begins with B. What is it?

But my main question is...

On the second page at the end it says "+ Bosom + Buckle + Man". I took that to mean, where there's a plus sign in the poem, substitute this word. For example, just four lines above, it says No+One and the word Man is penciled in. Clearly No One should be No Man.

On the first page, there is a + beside Boddice, third line up from the bottom. She apparently meant that to be Bosom or Buckle. But where is the third plus mark? That's my question. I can't find it.

The only notice taken of this that I've seen is here, 520 line 12, where the editor can't find the third plus either and is unsure what Boddice should be. Everbody else seems to just ignore it.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2cBt0gK

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire