vendredi 23 septembre 2016

Is my CPU about to explode?

So I was watching a video on a site, when the graphics became glitched and corrupted. Being someone who enjoys glitches I thought it looked cool, until my computer Blue Screen of Deathed me, with the glitches remaining on-screen to the degree where I could barely tell that there was writing on the screen, let alone read what the writing was.

Restarting the computer demonstrated that the start-up sequence before the OS even kicks in had massively intrusive glitchy graphics over it, as did Safe Mode. I tried to use System Restore, but actually doing a system restore seemed to do nothing. As in the computer didn't bring up any kind of box saying "Restoring your system". It did the boxes asking me if I wanted to, but didn't appear to actually do it once I'd said I did.

A reboot took it straight from the boot stuff to another BSOD.

Another reboot had the computer ask me if I wanted to use Windows' own facility to repair the boot. I figured it was worth a go and said yes. It hummed and hawwed for about 15 minutes before giving me a box saying that it couldn't do anything. I hit the "Finish" button and it rebooted, only miraculously everything was clean, with no glitches in sight. It may actually have done the system restore at last, as my wallpaper is what it was a week or so ago, rather than what it last was (although when it first booted up successfully it was the latest wallpaper, which then changed to the week-ago one), and the open tabs in Firefox aren't what they were a couple of hours ago.

Everything seems to be working fine now, although I'm a little wary about just wiping my brow and acting as if nothing happened. I can't see it as a problem with either the OS or my graphics card, because the glitching continued during boot-up when neither of those things are in play. It was doing it, in fact, before it had even detected any of the hard drives, let alone accessed them.

So that leaves me thinking that the CPU seems like the most likely culprit. Anybody have any ideas?


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2cJ4x4Z

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire