mardi 20 septembre 2016

Should the USA have Mandatory Residence Registration?

In another thread about NZ gettin a new sex offender registry Arcade22 posted this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcade22 (Post 11483208)
I was wondering what information would be present in "sex offender registries" that law enforcement officials couldn't get otherwise and then i remembered that the US government, both on a state and federal level, does a piss poor job in keeping track of the people that live in the country.

By contrast many, if not most, other developed countries have mandatory residence registration for everyone that's going to reside in the country for non-negligible time. Together with other personal information recorded by the authorities of all residents (such as date of birth, personal id number, civil status, children and etc) makes any such "sex offender registry" completely redundant.

My initial thought was that I did not think it likely that many Americans (which in the context of this post will mean Citizens of the USA) on either end of the political spectrum would be likely to support mandatory residence registration; that most Americans would take the position that it is not the government's business where I chose to live and that very few would support such legislation. I was intrigued that Arcade22 seemed to take it for granted that mandatory residence registration was, or at least should be, common to "developed countries". It occurred to me that if Arcade22's position was the consensus of the rest of the world then we may have here an interesting, if not fundamental, difference in how we perceive the relationship between the individual and the state.

It then occurred to me that my read on the attitudes of my fellow countrymen, as well as my assumptions about both Arcade22's opinion and that of the rest of the world might be flawed. I decided, therefore, to start this thread and post what I think is my first poll ever.

The issue at hand is whether or not it should be mandatory for all residents of the USA to register their place of residence with the government (either state or federal.) For those who are not US citizens, what is your opinion regarding mandatory residence registration in your countries?

Question 6 should read "I NOT am a US citizen and I neither FAVOR nor OPPOSE mandatory residence registration."


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2d6zq3X

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire