jeudi 17 novembre 2016

Trump Policies I can get behind, sort of

As a lifelong liberal, I was nauseous on election night and woke up the next morning hoping it was all a dream. Alas, twas not to be.

While I'm still convinced that a Trump presidency will be a disaster, I've seen a few things that I can get behind.

1) Trump's ethics plan which bans all executive branch employees from lobbying for five years and expands the definition of lobbyist. I think that's great. The problem is that Mr. Trump has an awful lot of jobs to fill and that plan puts a damper on the career plans for a lot of people who would typically fill those jobs.

2) Immigration reform. The one issue I've always being counter to most liberals. Now I'm not saying he should build the stupid wall or fence or create a list of muslims. But I think the current 'catch and release' program is dumb. Being in the country illegally is illegal. If you get caught, you go back, immediately. Now there should be extenuating circumstances that can be considered such as someone brought here as a child. In conjunction with better enforcement there has to be realistic reform to allow people in. Instead of visas for engineers, there should be visas for farm workers and lots of them. If we somehow managed to stop illegal immigration, we'd be in far greater need of farm workers than code jockeys.

3) Saudi Arabia. Trump talks tough about Saudi Arabia and I say it's about time. The USA supporting a medieval regime like that hasn't helped us much. Of course, be careful what you wish for because Saudi Arabia could go the way of Libya or Iraq if the current regime fell and the Saudi have a lot more weapons we've given them.

4) Obamacare. This one's a stretch and just wishful thinking. Trump repeals Obamacare and replaces it with something better. Not holding my breath on this one.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2g2CTD6

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire