mercredi 23 novembre 2016

Voter Suppression - 2016

I didn't see a thread about this, so I figured I'd start one.is

Methods such as restricting polling locations and hours, strict identification restrictions, and voter purge lists appear to have been used with increasing frequency in recent elections. It appears this especially true in conservative areas. At least, based on my reading and understanding. It also appears conservative politicians believe these tactics do help suppress Democratic voters. And with the 2014 decision gutting the Voter Rights Act, we've seen a flood of various suppression schemes in conservative states and counties.

I think this is an interesting topic. I'd like to focus on cataloging and verifying (if possible) instances of various suppression tactics used during the 2016 elections. It would also be very interesting to try to quantify impacts. I have access to ArcGIS. If we can locate voter data from current and past elections, we could easily quantify potential impacts. I think these analyses are extremely important in understanding current future impacts of these suppression tactics. And I think it's probably a good idea to understand these impacts, because I think it's fair to expect these tactics to only strengthen in coming elections.

That said, with respect to the 2016 election, I view the impacts of potential voter suppression the same way I view a couple bad ref calls in a football game. They can certainly change the final outcome, but a winning team should never put itself in a position that a couple bad calls could determine the final outcome. Teams should always focus on what they could have done better, not what the refs could have done better. In that spirit, I don't want this thread to just be a festival of bitching and blaming. I'm really just looking looking for information, discussion, and hopefully some quantifying so we can move past the hand-waving.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2gmkIrN

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire