dimanche 26 février 2017

Help with IMDB edits for Hacksaw Ridge [possible minor spoilers]

Even though this has to do with a motion picture, I thought it would be more appropriate in this section; I'll report my post for a decision from the mods on whether it should be moved to Movies and TV.

A few weeks ago I was reading the IMDB section on goofs in the movie Hacksaw Ridge, and I came across a clear error. However, the error was part of a larger discussion that was not very well written and appeared to be questionably categorized. I broke the text into three parts and submitted each as a correction, including changing the categories of two of the parts. I would like to ask for opinions about categorization and rewording. Out of deference to the original author, I tried to alter the text as little as possible; I now believe that was probably a mistake. I would appreciate input from anyone who is willing to give it.

Here is a publicity photo from the film that illustrates the goofs (and the non-goof). This could be considered a minor spoiler.

Following are the three new goofs/non-goofs as they currently stand: I've highlighted the text I added; I believe everything else was from the original author. Here is the Goofs page from the IMDB:

In the category of Anachronisms:
Desmond's father, Tom Doss, appears in his World War I Army uniform wearing the 1939-1945 Croix de Guerre. He should be wearing the 1914-1918 Croix de Guerre for distinguished service in WWI.
The only major issue I see here is whether this should actually be categorized as a factual error, rather than an anachronism, because the WWII Croix de Guerre actually existed at the time the movie was set, even though it would have been inappropriate for the elder Doss to have worn it on his uniform. I tend to think that it does count as an anachronism in this context.

In the category of Factual Errors:
Tom Doss's WWI Victory Medal is shown with 3 clasps: the France service clasp, the Cambrai combat clasp and the Ypres-Lys battle clasp. Service clasps were not worn if the soldier earned a combat clasp, so the France clasp should not be present. US forces at Cambrai consisted of only the 11th, 12th and 14th Engineer Regiments. Tom has an infantry disc on his collar, not an engineer disc. No US unit is known to be present at both Cambrai and Ypres-Lys. Additionally, Tom states that he fought at Belleau Wood, so he would have been entitled to wear a Defensive Sector clasp, because there was no specific clasp authorized for that battle.
Although the information presented by the original author is substantially correct, it is rather poorly worded, IMO, and should probably be rewritten. I'm also considering rewriting the first sentence to be consistent with the point about the Croix de Guerre: "Desmond's father, Tom Doss, appears in his World War I Army uniform wearing the WWI Victory Medal . . ."

In the category of Incorrectly Regarded As Goofs:
The Silver Star Medal was not created until 1932, years after Tom Doss left the Army. Prior to that date, the Silver Star Medal's predecessor, the Silver Citation Star, consisted of a silver star, 3/16 inch in diameter worn on the suspension ribbon of the campaign medal, in this case the WWI Victory Medal. However, after the Silver Star was created, any recipient of the Citation Star could have that decoration upgraded to the Silver Star simply by applying.
This was why I initially submitted my corrections. Additionally, I suspect that most of the details about the Citation Star should be condensed or omitted altogether. Also, I'm considering rewriting the first sentence as I discussed above.

I would appreciate any constructive suggestions or criticism.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2mAeyX1

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire