mardi 21 février 2017

How can a bone bend?

Let me be clear from the outset that I'm not seeking medical advice. I realize that if I have any specific questions about my own health or treatment, I need to consult a doctor, as I already have. But I'd like feedback on whether or not what a doctor told me makes sense from a scientific standpoint.

I had a minor accident a couple of days ago that led to significant pain in my ribs on one side, and a noticeable and alarming deformity where it appeared that one or two of my ribs were now pushed inward, creating an indentation. Being rather concerned by this alarming change in my physique, and being concerned about internal organ damage or a bruised lung, I went to the emergency room where they x-rayed my rib cage.

After reviewing the x-rays, the doctor told me that, yes, what I was seeing with my own eyes was indeed visible on the x-rays...he saw very clearly that two of my ribs had been bent as a result of the accident, but were not fractured, and that I should simply treat it as one would a broken rib (rest, avoid activity that seems to aggravate the pain, heavy lifting, etc.)

I asked him if they would heal in the deformed position or revert to their original position and he said that it was unpredictable and could go either way, but that if they remained as they were, it wouldn't cause any impairment.

The thing is, I see with my own eyes that these ribs are in a new position. I also believe the diagnosis that they are not fractured/broken, because only 48 hours after the accident, I have almost no remaining pain, whereas my understanding is that if I had broken ribs, they would be very painful.

My confusion stems from the fact that I can find NO information or discussion about ribs "bending", nor do I understand how such a thing would be possible. It's like the concept doesn't even exist on the internet, except on woo woo boards talking about how chiropractors helped someone "pop" a "bent rib" back in place, which makes no sense in this context, and I don't believe these people are talking about an actual bent bone.

Greenstick fractures sound like the closest thing, but first of all it sounds as though that only occurs in children, and second of all it looks as though even in greenstick fractures, one side of the bone is partially broken/fractured. The doctor specifically told me that I didn't have a fracture, and, as mentioned, the absence of significant pain would seem to bear this out.

So...is there any physical way that a bone could simply bend, and remain in the bent position? If so, why is there zero information about this online, or in any reference to any scientific literature? I find it particularly confusing because the doctor seemed like this wasn't something particularly unusual...there was no hint in his demeanor that I was presenting with something rare.

And yes, I realize that I could have asked the doctor these questions, but it was in an emergency room, everything was rushed, and I was so relieved that there was nothing seriously wrong that these questions didn't even occur to me until later.

Any speculation or theorization is greatly appreciated. I find it so confusing that there is no information about this that I can find, and I find it extremely odd that I could have bones actually bend into a new position, and only a day or two later feel no painful effect (I've taken absolutely no pain medication, either...at no point in this ordeal has it even felt remotely necessary, although it certainly hurt for a while).


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2kKcsHm

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire