mercredi 22 février 2017

When forums disappear - IMDb

One of the first websites I ever visited, the Internet Movie Database (IMDb), has pulled the plug on its message boards. I was used to going to it after I'd seen a movie or binged on a series and wanted to what other people thought. Then after a "Wentworth" binge I was disappointed that the boards had been taken down. Too much bickering and trolling, apparently. Frequently I would see "This post has been deleted by an administrator," which sounds labor-intensive.

I've never administrated a message board/forum and am interested in the amount of work that goes into this. One way is to be relatively hands-off, such as YouTube (IMO). There's a lot of BS but I've trained myself to screen it out. Then there are forums that are so curated that owners (if that's the right word) must personally approve every post.

Also it seems CNN has eliminated or sharply curtailed comments sections, unless I'm looking in the wrong place. YouTube allows almost anything.

Is there a general trend with message boards? Does anyone here have experience or opinions on how curated comments sections should be, how they've evolved, etc.?


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2lajQIq

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire