jeudi 30 mars 2017

Paranormal/extraordinary coincidence - Gasket fail

On the 16 February 2017 I posted this. #79 in "Evidence we live in a simulation". (Should be "MIGHT POSSIBLY live" to be technically correct.)

Quote:

I was going to post some events on Wednesday.

But (coincidentally?) the hot water cylinder in the roof failed in a series of strange steps.

1. The water got very hot on Tuesday indicating a stuck thermostat.

2. I noticed some water leaking from cracks in the gutter. Without the corrosion I would not have noticed the water (our gutters run into tanks). I wondered if the water was expanding as it got hot and went out the over-pressure. It did not stop. I turned off the electricity supply to the water heater.

3. I checked the unit. Water was leaking from behind the thermostat. I pulled the thermostat out and tightened the Allan screw. The leak stopped.

4. Just then I noticed a larger leak starting, but coming from the below the element flange. The cylinder was in the initial stage of bursting.

5. I removed the flange and discovered that the rubber gasket had turned to a "jelly" and had failed. Hence the thermostat leak. I had installed this gasket 2 years ago. It should have lasted at least 15 years.

This is a lucky but unusual series of events. If the gutter was not corroded, I would not have noticed the leak. If the gasket had not failed, I would not have been at the geyser when the tank ruptured. We have a drip tray, but that does not stop a burst cylinder from spraying water all over the roof. Often there is considerable damage when that happens.

By seeing the cylinder leak when I did, it did not progress rapidly to massive failure. I called the manufacturer of the gasket. They are puzzled and will investigate after I send them the defective part. I tested the thermostat. It was not stuck.
This was challenged as being "mundane" by people who claim to be knowledgeable in engineering and manufacturing. I dispute their claims.

Because I do not wish to derail the thread, I am going to take each incident and defend it as "beyond extraordinary coincidence".


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2nzIfZP

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire