mardi 14 mars 2017

Where are all the nice Christians?

Here's one:

The Church of Not Being Horrible

Quote:

I’m tired.

I’m tired of professed Christians preaching a Jesus that they seem to have no interest at all in emulating; of religious people being a loud, loveless noise in the world while claiming to speak for a God who is supposedly love.

I know the world is tired of such people.

I’m fairly certain that God is too.
Personally, I know a lot more Christians who are not horrible people than I know Christians who are. Yes, this is merely my own experience.

The Christians I know support marriage equality, social justice, and accountability for child abusers. I know Christians who marched in the Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras a couple of weeks ago.

I know it's easy to pay attention to the horrible Christians. And don't get me wrong - as the author linked above states, "being horrible seems to be trending these days" and it is important to be aware of this and to work against the horribleness. But you should also be aware that there are also Christians who aren't horrible, are aware that horrible Christians exist, and wish that they didn't. There are Christians actively trying to make the church less horrible.

By focusing on the horrible Christians, we run the risk of ignoring or forgetting about the Christians who aren't horrible, who can be valuable allies in our fight against horribleness.

It's their church, and it's not going to go away any time soon. Shouldn't we be helping them make it less horrible if we can?


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2mH0wpb

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire