lundi 17 avril 2017

Sugar, again

On a recent episode of big picture science (the old SETI podcast), there was a guy named Gary Taubes speaking about the dangers of dietary sugar. http://ift.tt/2paJWR2

He specifically made the claim, that counter to what I read often on the JREF, obesity does NOT come from more calories going in than calories going out, and that somehow sugar breaks that equation.

The hosts seemed quite a bit less skeptical than they usually are and didn't ask "how?". So I'm asking you guys. How can you gain weight taking in less than you put out?

We just recently installed a vending machine at our place, and I'd love to stock it with stuff that isn't dangerous, but I don't know what that is. I live in a place so monstrously obese, it makes Dallas look like swimsuit models.

I am enourmously confused. When I am at the skatepark, the kids are stuffing their face with mcdonalds, twinkies, handfuls of sour candy, and are capable of a range of movement and endurance far surpassing the general population. When I rode BMX professionally, the older riders always showed us cheap ways of getting as many calories as possible, up to eating lard straight out of the can if you had to. There was just an insatiable craving for calories.

I documented a bit how in my later years after not riding anymore how I turned into a butterball, wider than I was tall, but also the last two years where I came back down to an OK size (170, from 270) and am stronger now than ever before in my life, and riding again. Now I find myself again, hitting the reduced price/stale rack at the local stores and buying whatever is there on the way to the skatepark, which is often donuts or bread, probably unhealthy stuff, but I still am losing weight unless I dont ride for a day.

How dangerous is sugar exactly? How does it break the calories in vs calories out equation? What would be better, but still affordable calories? What could sit in a vending machine that would be good for obese and at risk for obesity kids?


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2oERwQT

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire