jeudi 29 juin 2017

McEnroe says Serena would be ranked 700th

It seems to me that there's far too much of a brouhaha about this.

Part of the transcript is here

tl;dr - McEnroe thinks Serena is a fantastic athlete, but would be ranked pretty lowly on the men's tour.

I've never been a John McEnroe fan. Great player - absolutely. Total asshat on the court - definitely. I'm not giving him any freebies. I just can't see any sexism in his comments, and I think he's right not to apologise for them even though it appears that he's been forced to admit that he 'regrets' making them. Presumably that means he'd rather the uproar hadn't happened.
"It would have been better not to have said it. I didn't realise it would create something like this,"

Serena, for her part, added (on Twitter):
"Dear John, I adore and respect you but please please keep me out of your statements that are not factually based," she wrote.
"I've never played anyone ranked 'there' nor do I have time. Respect me and my privacy as I'm trying to have a baby. Good day sir."

I'll add that I believe she referred to "not having time to play someone ranked 'there'" as a result of the suggestion that McEnroe's assertion could probably be easily proved or disproved.

I feel like these are the kinds of instances where people feel that political correctness goes too far. Is it sexist to believe that at the highest levels of sport, there is a difference between men and women? In tennis particularly, women don't play the same length of match in Grand Slam tournaments. Surely that is begging for someone to draw negative comparisons. The differences between men and women in strength and stature is more pronounced than it is in endurance, imo**. I can't see that women would not be able to cope with best of 5 matches.

How do other people here feel about this kind of issue?


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2skSCGk

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire