jeudi 10 août 2017

Passwords: Before I write my article about this, can someone explain its "logic"?

So, basically, I am unable to access my existing account at Copyright.gov, nor to create a new account, due to its insufferable, extreme list of requirements for password creation:

Quote:

Minimum password length must be 8 characters and consist of at least 2 alpha characters, 1 number and 1 special character.
A password must have no consecutive repeated characters.
A password must not include your user name or any part thereof.
A password must not include the names of a spouse, children, pets or one's own name.
A password must not include any regional sports teams or players.
A password must not include any office symbols.
A password must not include your social security number or any subset of your social security number that is more than a single number.
A password must not include words that can be found in any dictionary, whether English or any language.
A password must not be any of the 11 most recently used passwords for the account.
Some of these are plain laughable and feel like the site creator is literally mocking us: "A password must not include any regional sports teams or players" Could this be more random? First of all, why sports teams/ players? Why are those a no-no, but not Martial Arts fighters or movie directors? Is the person who created the site someone who hates sports? Or is there an actual logic behind this stupid requirement?

Some are, simply absurd: "A password must not include your social security number or any subset of your social security number that is more than a single number." First of all: If I'm a completely new user who's opening their account for the first time, then that means I haven't even entered such information as my Social Security Number. How in the Blue Hell then do you even know if any of the numbers I'm entering in my new password are found in my Social Security Number??

Finally, they completely destroy any possibility for you to create a password that you would remember and that would make sense to you by dictating that "A password must not include words that can be found in any dictionary, whether English or any language." This means, you are left with nothing but strings of random letters, meaning, this will be something you will need to write down in a piece of paper and save it so you can remember it.


But aside from the fact that this one site is being a real bitch with the whole password creation, most of the sites where you create accounts have a list of requirements for your password.

But why???

The way I see it: it's my account, my responsibility. If I decide to create a password that's just "1234", and that means it has an extreme risk of being deciphered by others, that's MY PROBLEM. Some services such as gmail allow (at least for now) for you to create whatever the hell you wanna create as a password, so we know this is not universal to all sites/services.

Second of all, as I mentioned earlier, by introducing such a large list of demands, you make it so that I have to create a password that I wouldn't remember, because it ends up being something crafted to the site's individual desires. So I have to write it down somewhere, because I just won't remember. Especially considering each site has their unique list of requirements. That means that, at the end of the day, I'm still at the risk of having someone find that list and have access to all of my passwords. So, the rationale that this makes your password more secure, isn't precisely true.


Since recently I was looking for ideas to write a new article on my blog, it goes without saying that this subject has infuriated me so much, and for such a long time, that I'm gonna make this my new subject. However, before I start writing an article complaining about this, I would like to hear the opinions of some tech-savy people (preferably people who are code programmers, and who have hands-on experience with this stuff) to patiently explain me, in as concisely as possible, why this **** makes sense at all.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2vTWiQ4

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire