jeudi 21 septembre 2017

Broadcast Power

Full disclosure: I know absolutely nothing about the subject of this post. Please be cognizant of the village idiot. Now then:

Many years/decades ago, I read a sci-fi story that involved broadcast power, the ability to send electrical(?) power from one point to another in much the same manner as radio or TV signals.

Now, I'm looking at my phone, a Samsung S8+. It is protected by a black plastic Otter case with a clear plastic back. I can recharge the battery via the normal power cord OR I can simply place it on a charging stand that, due to the phone's case, has no physical contact with the phone. The charging stand is plastic and has a raised rubberized(?) rim that the back of the phone actually rests against. There is thus a fraction of an inch of space between phone and stand.

Shouldn't the plastic case further insulate the phone? Is the power somehow jumping the physical gap, through the insulating plastic case? How could the rubberized(?) rim, plastic protective case, and plastic phone case conduct power to the battery? Is the battery connected to the phone case, somehow, either directly or indirectly? If not, how does it receive the power?

IOW, are we closing in on developing the ability to send raw electricity through the air, like lightning or what you see in high school science classes?

It seems to me if there were some way for the power to flow through physical contact, wouldn't that risk the phone if you were to set it down on the wrong object?

My disclaimer aside, I am vaguely aware of the relationship between electricity and magnetism and their respective fields, and have been trying on my own to work this out.

This signature is intended to irritate people.


via International Skeptics Forum http://ift.tt/2jNmGqn

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire